The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Wilson Botanic Park, Berwick, Melbourne. The course is run on a mixture of ashphalt, timber boardwalk and gravel paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Wilson Botanic parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Wilson Botanic parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
This is a 2 lap anticlockwise loop course. Starting at the Amphitheatre at Wilson Botanic Park heading east. After 150m, head north up the gravel path towards the ‘Bird Hide’. The path narrows at a timber board walk. Continue around Basalt Lake on the gravel surface.
When you come to the asphalt, turn left and head up the hill. At the top of the hill, complete a ‘U’ turn and head north along the gravel road.
After 250m, bear left at the junction. Follow the path past the directional marker.
Continue straight for 495m, at the junction, keep right. Continue down the gravel toward the bottom of the park.
At the bitumen continue straight down the hill.
At the bottom of the hill turn right. In 25m, keep left. After 40m, turn right up the hill. In 30m, turn left and continue to the Amphitheatre to finish the run.
There are 3 toilet locations: Multipurpose room, upper shelter & visitor centre.
Plenty of car parking provided at Wilson Botanic Park: 668 Princes Hwy, Berwick 3806
Overflow parking: William Rd, Berwick (500m walk)
Children’s play area
Disabled toiles and access ramp to visitor centre
Location of startThe run starts at the Amphitheatre at Wilson Botanic Park.
Getting there by public transportThe closest train station to the Park is Berwick Railway Station, which is on the Pakenham train line. The Park is approximately 2km from Berwick Railway Station and you can choose one of the following options to travel to the Park:
Bicycle (10 mins) or Walking (30 mins) - Travel north down Gloucester Avenue until you reach Princes Highway. Turn left (head west) onto Princes Highway. Once on princes Highway, there is an off-road bicycle and walking track.
The approximate cost for a taxi is between $7 -$10 one way, contact Dandenong Taxis on 97912111
From Berwick Railway Station - take the route 828 bus and get off at stop 3695
From Pakenham or Fountain Gate - take the route 926 bus and get off at stop 3695
Getting there on footWilson Botanic Park, 668 Princes Hwy, Berwick 3806
Getting there by roadThe best way to travel to Wilson Botanic Park Berwick is by car. The trip will take approximately 40 minutes from Melbourne CBD.
From Melbourne, follow the Monash Freeway (M1) towards the South Eastern suburbs. Keep following the MI1 towards Warragul and then turn off at the first Berwick exit (exit 23). Turn left of the ramp onto Princes Highway (C101) towards the township of Berwick.
In 1.2 kms on the left hand side you will see tourist signs for Wilson Botanic Park Berwick. The turn-off is located directly opposite Coniston Avenue.
If you are using a GSP to navigate, please enter your destination as 'corner of Princes Highway and Coniston Avenue, Berwick'.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at the Wilson Botanic Coffee Cart - please come and join us!