It has been fantastic to see more and more kids joining us at Victor Harbor parkrun and we thought we would take this opportunity to re-enforce the 'Children at parkrun' policy that is in place for the safety and enjoyment of parkrun not only by the children who join us each week but for all parkrunner participants.
We want children to have an overwhelmingly positive experience at parkrun; participating because they want to, in a way they want to; and in a safe environment at all times. In general, at parkrun events, children aged 11 and over are free to participate as individuals in a similar way to adults. They are still children and we are committed to providing the safest possible environment for them to participate in, and we fully accept our duty of care over these individuals. It’s important to note however that the ultimate responsibility for their welfare remains with their parents or guardians. The following has been taken from our ‘Children at parkrun’ policy that is enforced to ensure parkrun is continued to be inclusive and enjoyed by all who participate:
- Children must be aged 4 and over to register and obtain their own barcode. As with adults, children must always participate on foot. The only exception to this is that we do welcome wheelchair users where the course permits. In appropriate circumstances children may, if needed, be carried for short periods, however this must only be at a sensible walking pace and not running.
- Children must be able to complete the course themselves to have their barcode scanned. Being carried or pushed around in a pram doesn’t count, and bikes and scooters are not allowed at parkrun events for the safety of the child and other parkrunners.
- All under 11s must be within arm's reach of a parent, guardian or other designated adult of the parents' choice at our 5k events. This is an insurance requirement and local event teams have the authority to remove the results of juniors who persistently flout this non-negotiable rule.
- Running whilst carrying a child of any age (whether in a front or back baby carrier/harness, in your arms, on your shoulders or piggyback) is not permitted during parkrun events, as it poses a substantial safety risk. Walking whilst carrying a baby or child is permitted as long as their safety and welfare is not compromised.
- Prams are welcome at all parkrun events, however in some locations this may not be possible, please check the course page of the local event website, or contact the team on their email address which can be found at the bottom of the event's website.
- Children are a wonderful part of every parkrun community and we encourage them to volunteer. Children under the age of 11 can volunteer but must be within arm's reach of a parent, guardian or designated adult of the parents' choice at all times. Those aged 11 or over can volunteer without their parent or guardian, but should be within close proximity of a responsible adult volunteer. This is providing all parties are comfortable with this arrangement. Those under the age of 18 can be Run Directors, if accompanied by an adult Run Director.
- We should also make clear that only those people who complete the full course under their own steam will get a finish position. Those who are too young to run will have to wait until they are old enough to run it.
If you have any concern regarding the above policy please don’t hesitate to speak to our wonderful Events Team or Event Director either on the day or email email@example.com
Most importantly remember to have FUN and ENJOY YOURSELVES!