Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The run starts in Arthur Davis Park, on the grassed area next to the playground. The course is run on concrete paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Sandgate parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Sandgate parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionWe meet for a warm up and briefing at Arthur Davis Park. We then walk 300m north to the other side of the Sandgate Swimming Pool to the start line. The course then heads south back around the pool, along the foreshore, down Lovers’ Walk and veers onto the Shorncliffe Pier. The end of the pier is the turnaround point, and the course follows the same route back to Arthur Davis Park (finishing on the north side of the park). The course is flat and mostly straight along the pedestrian footpath.
Location of startWe meet for a warm up and briefing at Arthur Davis Park. We then walk 300m north to the other side of the Sandgate Swimming Pool to the start line.
Getting there by public transportTrain: The Shorncliffe train arrives at Sandgate Station at 5:53am and 6:53am. It is a 15 minute walk to the start location. For your return journey, trains depart Sandgate Station at 8:15am and 8:45am.
Getting there on footFollow the bike path either from the Decker Park direction or Moora Park until you reach the park next to the Swimming Pool
Getting there by road
From Redcliffe, follow the Hornibrook Highway onto Beaconsfield Tce. Turn down 19th Avenue then onto Flinders Parade until you reach the park which is on the left.
From Sandgate Road, follow Braun Street, then turn right onto Board St. Turn right onto Rainbow Street, left onto Brighton Road, right onto Sixth Avenue then left onto Flinders Parade, until you reach the park on your right.
The directions are the same from the Gateway Motorway: get off at Depot Road, which turns into Board Street.