Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Botanic Gardens, West Rockhampton. The course is run on a mixture of sealed and paved paths, grass and gravel paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Rockhampton parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
- Please note dogs are not permitted in the Botanical Garden.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Rockhampton parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is attractive moderately challenging course with a range of gradient and path types. It is set in the Rockhampton Botanic Gardens and takes full advantage of the parkland and adjoining lagoon scenery.
Starting around halfway up the gravel vehicle access road, we head up the hill and around to the right to follow the pathway around the fruit trees area. We then head down the hill and once to the bottom sealed path, turn right and follow that pathway to the end of the bamboo trees turn around point. You then head in the opposite direction 1.7 km running alongside the Lagoon until you get to the next turnaround point then head all the way back to the Bamboo trees turn around point for the second time. You then head back to the base of the gravel vehicle access road and up the hill until you get 60 m past the start line turning left and head to the finish line tree 80 m along the grassed area.
Most of the course follows sealed pathways but there are some easily traversable grassed and gravel sections that add variety and make for a very pleasant walk, jog or run.
Toilets, a children’s playground, Rockhampton Zoo and the Gardens Tearoom café are located at the gardens in close proximity to our parkrun assembly point.