Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Tench Reserve, Penrith. The course is run on a mixture of concrete paths, bitumen paths and grass . Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Nepean River parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Nepean River parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course starts on the grass next to the playground near the boat ramp parking lot at Tench Reserve.
The course enters the bottom path before veering right, up the new path that connects the bottom and top paths. Turns left at the top path and continue on the path until a marshal directs participants to veer left onto a grass/cross country, clockwise loop. After completing the loop, the course re-enters the path going the opposite direction, continuing back towards the start and follows the path until reaching a bollard. The bollard marks the turnaround point where the course takes a 180 degree turn and then completes a second loop before heading back to the start/finish line.
Parking is available at the Tench Reserve boat ramp car park and along Tench Avenue. Please DO NOT park in the restaurant precinct car park
behind Coffee Club.
Public toilets are available at Tench Reserve, 50m from the start/finish line.
Location of startThe event starts in Tench Reserve next to the playground near the boat ramp.
Getting there by public transportThe nearest bus, train and taxi services are from Penrith station, approximately 4km from the start/finish line. Buses from Penrith station to Tench Avenue don't start early enough for parkrun, however bus 785 can take you from Tench Avenue (near the boat ramp car park) to Penrith station at 8:49am.
Getting there on footN/A
Getting there by roadIf travelling from the city, take the Mulgoa Road exit from the Western Motorway/M4. Turn right onto Mulgoa Road and follow it until you reach Jamison Road where you turn left. Follow Jamison Road until it bears left and changes to Tench Avenue. After approximately 900m, turn right into the entrance of the boat ramp car park, and use the car park to your right.
If travelling from the Blue Mountains, follow the Great Western Highway/A32 and M4 to the Mulgoa Road exit. Turn left on Mulgoa Road and follow it until you reach Jamison Road where you turn left. Follow Jamison Road until it bears left and changes to Tench Avenue. After approximately 900m, turn right into the entrance of the boat ramp car park, and use the car park to your right.