Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Jells Park, Wheelers Hill. The course is run entirely on bitument paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Jells parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Jells parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionStarting below The Ponds picnic pavilion, follow the path left around to Scotchman's Creek Trail turning left at bottom as directed by a Marshall onto Dandenong Creek Trail. Follow right turn directions towards lake past the jetty then turn left at the Oak lined central path heading up towards Madeline’s café. Turn left at this T intersection. On the downhill turn right towards Yabbie Hill indicated with bollards and cross 2 timber bridges in the bush section. Second loop is a repeat loop of the first. Finish past the pavilion around the bend, merging off onto the grass at finish line as marked with cones/bollards.
- Dusk till dawn bathroom with disabled facility.
- 500 car spaces scattered throughout Jells Park with 2 disabled car spaces 20m from meeting point.
- Additional parking on Waverley Rd on left hand side
- Water tap 10m from start line and also on course.
- Covered pavilion with tables and chairs.
- Madeline’s café a short 40m walk from finish.
Location of startThe run starts below The Ponds picnic pavilion.
Getting there by public transportPlease note the busses do not run early enough to get parkrunners to the start line in time. If you are taking public transport, it is a 5km run from Glen Waverley Terminal Train Station to the start, or bring a bike on the train, or arrange a taxi or uber from the train to the starting area. After parkrun is finished, the 754 bus does run along Jells Road to the Glen Waverley Train Station, or to Rowville in the other direction. The 693 bus runs along Ferntree Gully Road between Belgrave and Oakleigh after parkrun, but not before.
Getting there on foot
- Entrance via Ferntree Gully Road follow Dandenong Creek bike path 1k along to Madeline’s café, turn left along driveway, 40m to Jells parkrun.
- Entrance via pedestrian crossing Waverley Rd onto Scotchman’s Creek Bike Path follow for 300m, turn left before power lines 30m towards Yabbie Hill and Jells parkrun.
- Entrance via Waverley Rd main entrance, follow pedestrian footpath along right hand side of driveway 700m, turn right towards Madeline’s café aft 700m, turn left immediately above Madeline’s café and follow driveway 40m around to right to Jells parkrun.