Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Resort Drive, Hamilton Island. The course is run on a mixture of bitumen path, concrete paths, grass and sand. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Hamilton Island parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Hamilton Island parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionA picturesque course located on the resort / beach side of the island.
Meet at Shady Creek lawns directly opposite Australia The Gift store near the Reef View Hotel. Following briefing participants will walk to the start approximately 150m west in the Resort Centre near the Clownfish Club.
Head towards Hamilton Island Wildlife and make a U-turn halfway up the hill and return into Resort Centre where you will exit left onto Resort Drive. Run past Shady Creek Lawn and continue past Reef View Hotel and Beach Pavilion until you reach Frangipani Lawn near the Scenic Trail entrance. Enter the lawn and run in an anticlockwise direction around the perimeter of the lawn, turn right down a short decline onto the beach. Run the full length of Catseye Beach and make a U-turn at the far end, return along the beach and make a right turn at the first volleyball net. Exit the beach onto the pathway between Endeavour Room and Beach Club. Follow this path until the end and turn right into Resort Centre to the starting point before commencing a second loop.
On the second lap as you exit the beach between Endeavour Room and Beach Club, turn left onto Shady Creek Lawn and run to the finish flag.
The course is predominantly flat , however with the grass and beach section it is not a particularly fast course, but with picturesque views of palm trees and Whitsunday Island, soak up the location and enjoy where you have chosen to parkrun.
Participants with pushchairs are welcome, however our course does traverse along the beach which may prove difficult for some users to push a pushchair across the sand.
As Hamilton Island is a private island, and dogs are not permitted on the Resort side of the island or beach where the parkrun course is located, unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
Sails Bar & Restaurant and Pool Terrace Restaurant are both open for coffee and/or breakfast post parkrun.
Toilets are located in Resort Centre.
Buggy parking is located adjacent to the meeting point, approx 30-50 metres walk