All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Resort Drive, Hamilton Island. The course is run on a mixture of bitumen paths and concrete paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Hamilton Island parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Hamilton Island parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
A beautiful run through the Resort on Hamilton Island.
Meet in the Shady Creek Lawns directly opposite the Australia the Gift store near the Reef View Hotel. Following briefing, walk to the start approx 150m west in the Resort Centre itself near the Clownfish Club. Head west and make a ‘S’ by running in front, then behind the Palm Bungalows and then along the service road to the main intersection; known as Mango Tree Corner. Turning left, head down past the Wildlife Park and veer right past Buggy Hire and onwards past the meeting point. Then go to the very end of the path, make a U-turn before returning back to the meeting point before commencing a second complete loop. Finish back at the meeting point at Shady Creek Lawns. The course is predominantly flat, with just a short 50m hill, completed twice, at the 0.5km and 3.0km mark as well as a couple of gradual inclines.There’s a couple of turns so it’s not a particularly fast course but with views of the beach at the end point of the course, it’s very pretty. It’s a great course for prams.
Restaurant and Pool Terrace Restaurant are both open for coffee and/or breakfast post parkrun.
Toilets are located in Resort Centre.
Buggy parking is located adjacent to the meeting point, approx 30-50 metres walk
Location of startMeet in the Shady Creek Lawns directly opposite the Australia the Gift store near the Reef View Hotel. Following briefing, walk to the start approx 150m west in the Resort Centre itself near the Clownfish Club.
Getting there by public transportparkrun starts BEFORE the arrival of the first ferry of the day.You need to be on Hamilton Island the night prior to participate. If you were to catch the on-Island shuttle, Resort Centre is the best point to alight.
Getting there on footWalking from Reef View Hotel, make your way in a westerly direction, crossing the road at Australia the Gift souvenir store. Approx 1min walk from Hotel.
Getting there by roadPersons driving will be in a golf buggy - the main mode of transport on the island! Hamilton Island parkrun meeting point is located on Resort Drive. The meeting point is in the grass area known as Shady Creek Lawns directly opposite Australia the Gift souvenir shop. Parking locations are located at Reef View Hotel or in Resort Centre just 50m away.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Marina Café - please come and join us!