The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Eastern Park, East Geelong. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Eastern Gardens parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Eastern Gardens parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
Eastern Gardens parkrun is located 200 meters north of Geelong’s iconic Geelong Botanical Gardens entrance. The 5km course is 2 out and back loops on an undulating, gravel surface. Breathtaking views of our beautiful bay makes this a picturesque, serene event.
Public toilets and a drinking fountain are located within 80m of the start line. There is a large undercover area complete with park benches and BBQ facilities. A play space is also located adjacent to the toilets.
Location of startThe event starts at Eastern Park.
Getting there by public transportGeelong City railway station - Leopold via Bellarine Hwy - route 32 travel to Fitzroy/Sydney Pde stop, then approximately a 17 min (1.3km) walk to Eastern Gardens parkrun. Please see the bus website for more details www.ptv.vic.gov.au
Getting there on footGeelong City railway station to Eastern Gardens parkrun walk is approximately 32 mins (2.5k). Head north towards Trainshed Way, turn left onto Trainshed Way, turn left onto Mercer Street, turn right onto Brougham Street. Cross over Bellarine Street onto Eastern Beach Road, cross over Hearne Parade onto Podbury Drive and at the Geelong Botanical Gardens entrance (the end of Podbury Drive), turn left and walk 200 meters north to Eastern Gardens parkrun.
Getting there by roadFrom the Princes Highway keep right to continue on Latrobe Terrace/Princes Hwy. Turn left onto Brougham Street, cross over Bellarine Street onto Eastern Beach Road, cross over Hearne Parade onto Podbury Drive and at the Geelong Botanical Gardens entrance (the end of Podbury Drive), turn left and drive 200 meters north to start/finish area.
There is ample parking close to the start/finish area and the surrounding park area.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Winifred’s Corner Shop, 26 Garden Street, East Geelong 3220 - please come and join us!