While our friends down at Albert parkrun, Melbourne hosted nearly 1,000 parkrunners at a special Nitro parkrun event, we had a bumper turnout at Coburg Lake Reserve for our 93rd event. The sun shone and 110 runners, joggers and walkers of all abilities set off from the stage area for one of the most scenic 5km courses in Melbourne, if not the world! 28 of our participants were navigating our bridges and undulations for the first time. A warm welcome to you Chris BEATY, Tom RAWLINGS, Martin JONES, Tristan SMITH, Samuel THOMAS, Caitlin POHL, Luke WHEELER, John HOGGAN, Thibaut FLAMANT, Rachel OLOUGHLIN, Shelley MILLER, David KEITH, Emma MORRISSEY, Dominic BREEN, Kara GERMANO, Nicole BUTLER, Vanessa GEORGE, Ingrid WILSON, Laila ENGLE, Dan RICHARDSON, Kathryn THOMAS, Olivia ZAMMIT, Hannah RICHARDSON, Levina HONEYMAN, Lucy CHESTNUTT, Matilda ROSE, Chris ROSE and Sophie ROSE… we hope to see you all again very soon!
Coburg parkrun is not a race against other runners but we are always pleased to see our community racing against their previous bests.
Huge congratulations to Peter MCCAW, Jordan FUESSEL, Matthew EGLEZOS, June ALLISON, Matthew DE JONG, Cormac MCCARTHY, Daniel MCKAY, Ashik GURUNG, Damien MURRAY, Sam TABIT, Linh NGO, Lisa GARDINER, Anna MCGEECHAN, Jane AUBREY, Keith STEPHENS, Toby ROSSATO, Roger SMALL, Peter DUNN, Will STRACHAN, Chris DIMSEY, Katy BETAR and Janice TYLER whose times all tumbled. Your event team gets great pleasure from seeing you continuing to beat your own times.
Every parkrun event relies on volunteers and volunteering is a wonderful way to make friends, feel great and have fun. If you’d like to help, please take a look at the Future Roster page and drop our volunteer coordinator an email with the date(s) you’d like to volunteer on. Visit our FAQ to learn all about volunteering at parkrun.
Many thanks to this week’s heroes: Carl KENNEDY, Craig LAKEY, Deb DENNY, Freya SHAW, Lee MELE, Nadine BARNES, Pete JOHNS, Sarah DIX and Sharon EWEN. There would have been no first timers, no PBs, indeed no event without you!
Craig’s photos from today’s event are online on our Facebook page. Tag yourself and show your friends how awesome you are!
Safety and #defibs4parkrun
We want Coburg parkrun to be the safest possible environment for our community to get together and exercise. However we have identified that, as things currently stand, we do not have ready access to a defibrillator. As such we’ve made it our goal for 2017 to change that.
Please help us raise $2,000 to purchase a defib for Coburg parkrun.
For more information or to make a donation visit our fundraising page.
What you give today will help ensure the safety of all parkrunners in the future.
Thank you all for your support, we really appreciate it.
Darebin parkrun trial
The 5km trial run before the official launch of our newest neighbour’s event will take place tomorrow, 12 February, at 07:50.
2017 Active Moreland Fun Run and family fun day
The Active Moreland Fun Run is being run again this year on 26 February at 09:30. The inaugural event was great and many Coburg parkrunners took part. The 10km course incorporates most of our usual 5km course, so you’ll be in very familiar territory.
Run Down Under are organising a “parkrun-downunder” day on Saturday, 25 February, where they are inviting as many Run Down Under members to attend their local parkrun dressed in their Run Down Under singlet or shirt, for a series of mass photos across the country! See their page for all the information.
- Craig HADLEY (VM45–49) (Unattached) was first over the line in 18:13 - first time in 3 appearances.
- Peter MCCAW (SM25–29) (Unattached) was second over the line in 19:19.
- Russell DALTON (SM30–34) (Unattached) was third over the line in 19:31 - was first to finish once before.
- Amelia GRIFFITH (VW35–39) of Achilles Running Club Melbourne, was first (12th overall) over the line in 21:13 - 32nd time in 69 appearances.
- June ALLISON (SW30–34) (Unattached) was second (16th overall) over the line in 21:53 - has been first to finish on 2 previous occasions.
- Shannon HENNESSY (SW30–34) (Unattached) was third (27th overall) over the line in 23:20 - has been first to finish on 11 previous occasions.
The following runners recorded the best Age Grade scores:
- Craig HADLEY (VM45–49) was graded 77.86% for the time 18:13 (first overall).
- Amelia GRIFFITH (VW35–39) was graded 70.93% for the time 21:13 (12th overall).
- Cormac MCCARTHY (VM55–59) was graded 68.81% for the time 22:20 (21st overall).
This week there were 110 runners, of whom 28 were first timers and 22 recorded new Personal Bests. Representatives of 10 different athletics clubs took part.
Coburg parkrun started on 16th May 2015, and since then 1,584 different runners, including participants from 130 athletics clubs, have completed 6,270 runs covering a total distance of 31,350 km, and there have been 1,301 new Personal Bests.
- The female record is held by Amelia ASLANIDES who ran in a time of 00:18:33 on 15th October 2016 (event number 75).
- The male record is held by Ralph STREET who ran in a time of 00:16:17 on 10th October 2015 (event number 21).
- The Age Grade course record is held by Michael BIALCZAK who recorded a 85.64% run (18:06) on 20th August 2016 (event number 67).
Today’s full results and a complete event history can be found on the Coburg parkrun Results Page.
See you next weekend. Simon is looking forward to being your Run Director.