The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at University Drive, Callaghan. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, trail paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Callaghan parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Please note that dogs are not allowed at this event as they are banned from the campus.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Callaghan parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course is a 3-lap, out & back course with a mixture terrains, including bark, grass, pavement and pavers. Please note that to avoid collisions, we stick to the right to share the paths.
The course starts at rear corner of the Birabahn (SAS) building. Head down Birabahn Walk and follow the marked course towards the Commonwealth Bank, but then, stick to the right and follow the marked course onto Oval #4. Continue anti-clockwise around the edge of the oval and re-join the path, before going up the rise at the “Pencil Tops” sculpture. Continue straight on, sticking to the right, towards the Design Building bus stop, then bend to the right and head down the hill.
Turn around just prior to the driveway into the Biribahn carpark and return up the hill towards the Design Building bus stop. Keep right on the way back towards the Commonwealth Bank, and following the marked course, turn left before entering the car park. Return to the start line along the marked course - sticking to the right so as to not cross any oncoming participants - and this completes one lap.
Turn around at the start line and repeat this lap twice more.
On your third return up Birabahn Walk, continue straight (with the start line on your right) and finish at the Totem Poles.
Toilet, free car park, bubbler. Child minding is also available at the Forum which is only 1 km away from the start.
Location of start
The event starts at the rear corner of the Birabahn (SAS) building.
Getting there by public transport
There is a bus stop right at the corner of SAS building. If you catch train, you should get off at the Warabrook (University) station, but it’s about a 1 km away from the start line. For more information on how to get to the University please see the Getting to Newcastle campus webpage
Getting there on foot
It’s very convenient for the students and staff who live on the campus to walk to the SAS (Birabahn) building. The residential units are about 500m from the start line.
Getting there by road
There is free parking on campus all weekend. University carparks P6 and P2 are the best carparks to use for Callaghan parkrun. For more information on how to get to the University please see the Getting to Newcastle campus webpage
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Forum Café - please come and join us!