The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Cooks Hill Surf Club, Bar Beach. The course is run entirely on sand on the foreshore. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The The Beaches parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Unfortunately this course is not suitable for dogs.
- Unfortunately this course is not suitable for buggies.
We hope these tips help to ensure that The Beaches parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
This is a 2 lap course starting at Bar beach (Cooks Hill surf club) heading towards Merewether and back again.
The course is run entirely on sand on the foreshore. Being located on the foreshore the course is subject to normal beach hazards. Although infrequent, these hazards may include: submerged rocks, bluebottles, large unexpected waves, flash rips, sand gutters, hazardous surf conditions and shallow water crossings. Beach safety advice can be found at www.beachsafe.org.au including specific information about Bar, Dixon and Merewether Beaches.
Unfortunately this course isn’t dog or pram friendly.
Course start is outside Cooks Hill surf club where toilets, food etc. are available.
Location of startThe run starts at Bar beach (Cooks Hill surf club).
Getting there by public transport310 Bus to Darby St near Bar Beach Ave and walk the remaining 450m to Bar Beach.
Getting there on footFrom Darby St, follow Bar Beach avenue and cross memorial drive to Bar Beach.
Getting there by roadFrom Newcastle follow Darby St, towards Cooks Hill and the Junction turn left onto Parkway Ave, cross over Memorial drive to bar beach car park.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Cooks Hill surf Club - please come and join us!