The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Lithgow Pony Club, Sheedy's Gully, Lithgow. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths, trail paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Lithgow parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Lithgow parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
This is a gently sloped out and back, out and back course (ie 2 loops). The course starts 50m beyond the Lithgow Pony Club gate. From here you head up a fire trail for several hundred meters to a clearing, to the left are the Pony Club paddocks, straight ahead are views east toward the mountain. From here you head across the grassy clearing to a trail through a shady forest to a small clearing. Here, you loop around a tree and head back the way you came and back to the start. Here you turn and repeat the course. The finish line is where you started, just short of the Pony Club gates.
The nearest toilets are at the Plaza on Lithgow St, Lithgow (just down from Hassans Wall's Rd).
Location of startThe run starts 50m beyond the Lithgow Pony Club gate.
Getting there by public transportTrain from Blue mountains arrives in Lithgow at 6.40am Saturday mornings. There are no bus services before 8.20am. Taxis are available on Main St opposite the railway station.
Getting there on footFrom Lithgow railway station, turn Right on to Main St, walk 400m, turn left at traffic lights at Lithgow St intersection. Walk 400m along this road, passing Woolworths Fuel station on the left, past the Plaza Shopping Centre on the left, continue another 700m veering left onto Hassan's Walls Road, There is a building site on the left side and houses on the right side of Hassan's Walls Rd. If you pass Rutherford Rd on the right, you have gone too far. The entry to the Pony Club is via an access road that crosses the building site. There will be a parkrun sign and a parkrun Marshall at the start of the access road. Walk down the access trail turning into the Lithgow Pony Club after about 100m. Pass through the small gate on the right, the start line is about 50m down the Pony Club fire trail.
Getting there by roadFrom the Plaza Shopping Centre car park, turn left onto Lithgow St, veer left onto Kirkland link which takes you up on to Hassan's Walls road. There is a building site on the left and houses on the right side of Hassan's Walls Rd. If you pass Rutherford Rd on the right, you have gone too far. The entry to the Pony Club is via an access road that crosses the building site. There will be a parkrun sign and a parkrun Marshall at the start of the access road. Park anywhere on Hassan's Walls Road and walk down the access trail turning into the Lithgow Pony Club after about 100m. Pass through the small gate on the right, the start line is about 50m down the Pony Club fire trail.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in a local café - please come and join us!